Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Teddy Pendergrass - The More I Want (Ron Hardy Edit)



 Teddy Pendergrass - The More I Want (Ron Hardy Edit) by smashmastersen

We are starting a new thing today were I periodically post pictures of extraordinary chickens. Get use to it. Also, feel free to submit you own pictures of extraordinary chickens, don't be shy.

Today I received a history lesson and that lesson was on Ron Hardy. I'm not going to talk about him as if I knew anything about him prior to this afternoon but what I learned was that he was one of the leading figures in the early Chicago house scene. This edit of Teddy P comes from some bootlegs of live sets he did in the late 80s. In other words, this isn't him playing a version he had produced in a studio beforehand, this is him producing the song live at the club. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Single-handedly the greatest thing I've heard all week. The brilliant combination of perfectly timed loops with levels being thrown all out of whack to create an entirely different and amazing dance track. My favorite part? At the four minute mark where everything drops out except for the bass and Teddy P's voice slowly builds back in.

People use to ask Michangelo how he could create a structure as beautiful as David. Legend has it he use to answer that he believed David was always in the block of granite, his job was simply to remove the extra rock to show him to the world.

Ron Hardy - a man with a chisel who saw every song as a block of granite.

No comments:

Post a Comment