Monday, July 25, 2011

This weekend I was at a wedding in Akron. During the reception I was seated next to, and across from, a pair of couples who were about my Dad's age. Three of the people sitting next to me had played in the Father of the Bride's band back in the early 1980's. They sounded like Captain Beefheart but with more of a dork like, Devo angle. My brother, who was sitting across from me, and I started talking about albums we had been into recently. I mentioned that I had just listened to "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac a couple of days earlier and how much I still really like that album. Without skipping a beat the man in the sear sucker suit sitting next to me turned and asked, "Did you say you like Fleetwood Mac?"

"Yea," I responded. "I really like the album 'Tusk' I think it is pretty great"

The man then preceded to stick out his tongue, insert his finger into his mouth, and pretend to gag. I received the exact same reaction again when the man's wife found out I liked Fleetwood Mac. I got roasted on for liking dad rock by two people that were probably older than my dad.

I felt like I had won.

Junior Boys - Banana Ripple by DominoRecordCo

God damn it I love everything about the Junior Boys. I love how every time I listen to one of their albums I feel like I'm doing something a little dirty. If you think about it, there isn't much space separating the Junior Boys and, say, The Weeknd. Except that I would much rather hang out with the Junior Boys because A) I bet it would be more fun and B) I feel like there is a much lower chance of their being an existential crises with these guys.

There really isn't any new ground broken on this track, relative to other Junior Boys' songs. But god damn, if there isn't something about this dudes crooning voices,their pseudo-80's synths, and meticulous production value. This is just nine minuets of awesome.



I said a couple of weeks ago there needed to be more dub/reggae on this little website. I thought I would throw up a classic today, also, I heard it at the wedding this weekend and I've had it in my head ever since.

The first time I heard this song it was in some movie from the 70's about gangs in Jamaica. I can't tell you anything else about the movie because I honestly could not comprehend 90% of what was said in it. In fact, it might not have involved gangs at all, it just really looked like it did.  This song was the highlight of the movie.



This is for the guys at the wedding. The more I listen to this song the more I want to hear Swans cover it. The last third of the song could be a Swans song now, in fact I heard they are covering it on their next album. I'm not going to sit here and try and defend this for anyone, I just did it. So, get over yourself and listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment