Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Can the best album in the last month be the first five tracks of a soundtrack?




Because I think that is what is happening here with the soundtrack to the film Drive. The first five songs are stunning, brilliant, haunting, and beautiful. All just rapped up into one gorgeous five song segment. Everyone one of these songs make me want to wear a satin jacket with a scorpion embroidered on the back of it.



All four of the first five tracks are straight from artists associated with the Italians Do It Better label which is responsible for one of the best albums in the last decade: After Dark. A compilation of, at the time, unknown American artists taking Italian disco, pulling the rug from out underneath it to make a whole new type of creepy, sexy, disco. If the Drive soundtrack proves only one thing, it is that Italians Do It Better clearly have their eye on the prize - that being making the darkest, sexiest, ridiculously addictive disco.



I don't even know if I can call this disco, this might be something entirely different. For sure, "A Real Hero" is probably not a disco track. I don't think it is a dance track of any sort, maybe an electronic song? Clearly, what makes it is the sultry, whisper-y pipes of Electric Youth. Don't get me wrong, the music with its perfectly placed beat is awesome and super dystopian sounding but how can you ignore that voice. It's amazing. I've listened to it over and over and I have no idea what she is signing about I just he sounds that don't make and sense to my ears. There is just something about her voice where she could be singing almost anything and I would want to hear it.

It's too much to handle. Tomorrow we discuss the Chromatic's "Tick of the Clock" and why I can't stop listening to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment