Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Endless Summer Vol. 2

It's June 15 and I'm sitting here in a coffee shop with a sweater on. WTF world! It was unbearably hot last week and now I can't leave the house without wondering whether I need to take a coat. Really, make up your mind all ready.

I don't know if it is because it is 60 degrees outside and it is gray that is making me put together these songs but this mix is not nearly has sunny has the first Endless Summer mix-tape. Lets just call this the B side maybe?


Three 6 Mafia has always really fascinated me. I don't know what it was but I felt like they were the scariest fucking rappers I had ever heard in high school and I was intimidated by them. Fast forward about six years after they win an Oscar and I just come to realize that they are just permanently stoned and only focus on continuing to be stoned. It must be an exhausting experience.

So I guess it is only right that someone took Bin Laden and slowed the shit down to a crawl. Now the songs sounds like what I assume the song sounds like to the members of Three 6, oozy, stoned, and about to fall over.


Ummm, what a brilliant idea. Let's take Bruce Springsteen, strip his song all the way down, keep his vocals and his acoustic guitar, and just build the tension. Just take that tension and push it up a level every couple of bars. If Springsteen went into a studio tomorrow with Trentemoller I would immediately start to care about him again.


I don't really know what to say about this one except, god damn, were have you been my entire life. What a absurd song, I mean this was the 80's and shit was crazy and this had to be more crazy than 95% of the stuff out there then.


Ok, this one is by far my favorite of the bunch. I have no idea at all what is going on here, it's just some dudes with some dreads shaking that shit around in slow-mo with no shirts on in a front of a wooden fence while being lit by probably just a motion light on a building. Just an all-around horrible premise for a music video but this thing is hypnotizing. Sometimes the video is played backwards, sometimes it is sped up, sometimes it goes split screen and we see both of them from two different angles, and they are all edited into each other and it is amazing. In the top 5 best videos of the year.

And then there is the song its self. I would love this song without the video even. I have no idea who Stalker is I don't even know if this was actually done by them but this jam is the shit. Just like the Three 6 song this thing is slowed down to a strenuously slow rate that makes it feel like the song is just going to disintegrate at any given moment. And the hook is just amazing. Every time I listen to this song the hook stays in my head for a good hour afterwards.

Let's end on a little bit of a brighter note. Some awesome house-y/stuff/thing. I don't know what to call this. It's just sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment