Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I don't think it has rained for almost 36 hours now. I'm starting to worry. I mean I built this ark and I'm going to be pissed if I don't get to use it.

This is a country song or an alt-country song or just a bad-ass song that you should like because it is a good fucking song.



Don't be that dude who is like 'I don't like country music but I like Johnny Cash'. Just don't be that person. You sound foolish when you say that.

Listen, I'm not saying you have to run out and buy a ton of country albums or defend what is sadly called country music these days. That doesn't count. Imagine if someone time traveled from 1979 and walked into your living room when you just happened to have the radio on whatever top 40 radio station. And this person from the past was really into rock and roll and the first song he hears is some crazy MGMT song. He will most likely ask you what the hell you are listening to and if you respond, 'well this is what rock and roll is now in 2011' I suspect he might demand to be taken back into time. That is what country music today is to country music back in the day. They are two totally different things that just happen to share the same name.

This is what I've learned: all country songs are either about love found, mostly about love lost, drinking, feeling sorry for yourself who, sometimes drugs, more feeling bad, and/or longing to have that love back. Which, historically have been ripe material for some awesome songs. This song is no different instead it is just catchy as all hell. (A - can we just agree that either these guys ripped off The Replacements of The Replacements Ripped off this guys with that opening guitar part and B- don't tell anyone this, but these guys are Canadian. I know, country music from Canada, I'm really asking a lot from you today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment